In 1885, Washington & Jefferson College purchased eight acres of the old Washington Fairgrounds on the south side of the City of Washington to use the property as a site for football games.
Since then, the facility that was once known as College Park has been the site of numerous historic collegiate and high school games. Dozens of legendary players and coaches, from George Gipp and Knute Rockne to John Heisman, Wilbur “Pete” Henry and “Deacon” Dan Towler, have walked the sidelines at the facility that was renamed College Field in 1920.
Before the 1999 season, College Field was redesigned and expanded, thanks to a commitment of $2.5 million from Don and Sally Cameron, Dick and Edwina Cameron, James and Nancy Cameron, Steven and Diane Cameron and Lynn Cameron and family to update and enhance the aging facility. The gift, one of the five largest in the history of the College, underscores the singular partnership that exists between the College and the community.
In phase one of the restructuring, an eight-lane, all-weather outdoor track was added as well as the installation of a new playing surface. Debuting in 2000 was phase two of the restructuring of Cameron Stadium, also the home of W&J field hockey and track & field.
A total facelift of the entire stadium was enacted, including men’s and women’s locker rooms, a state-of-the-art press box, V.I.P. luxury suites and two concession stands. The project updated restroom facilities and added three new ticket booths to make it easier for fans to get in and out of the stadium. For media personnel, space for television and radio broadcasts is included in the press box. A media room for postgame interviews as well as a conference room were also added.
The completion of the Washington & Jefferson Athletic Hall of Fame, including the Eaton/Gentile Hall of Fame Room at Towler Hall, has also helped current students, alumni and fans honor and appreciate those from the past who played, coached and supported W&J athletics.
In 2010, Hellas Construction replaced the 10-year-old artificial surface with state-of-the-art RealGrass. The turf now features multi-colored end zones as well as the official W&J College logo at the 50-yard line.
Cameron Stadium is one of the top facilities in all of Division III. The 2012 Presidents hope to add to W&J’s storied football tradition of success at Cameron Stadium.