Washington & Jefferson College is currently working on a new strategic plan that will ensure the College’s continued success in an era of accelerating change and intensifying competitive pressures. This highly collaborative process began in the spring of 2018, and the process is expected to take 18 months.
President Knapp named Professor Mike Leonard to direct the process and appointed an 18-member Strategic Planning Committee (SPC) comprised of students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni and trustees. The committee developing a plan that identifies our shared vision of the College’s future, goals, objectives, and forms of measurement to track our progress.
When complete, the plan will be submitted to the Board of Trustees for their approval.
The SPC invited all members of the College community to contribute their thinking and formed six subcommittees, which gathered information to help shape the plan. Some 90 people volunteered to participate in subcommittees, and researched six topics:
- Determining Optimum Enrollment and Resource Implications
- Building a Campus Culture of Trust, Collaboration, and Inclusion
- Strengthening Student Support and Campus Infrastructure
- Enhancing Our Portfolio of High-Impact, Experiential Learning Opportunities, Both On- and Off-Campus
- Evaluating Opportunities to More Effectively Differentiate Our Academic Program
- Clarifying and Sharpening Our Value Proposition
In the fall of 2018, the subcommittees held listening sessions open to all students, faculty and staff.
The SPC is also drawing on the information gathered during the research phase of the Middle States Self Study Report, and keeping in mind the institutional priorities outlined in the Report:
- Improve communication among all parties at the College
- Continue to enhance the diversity of faculty, staff, students and curriculum
- Develop a more widely participatory planning and budgeting process.
Other key sources of information for strategic planning include a stakeholder survey conducted in spring 2018, and the forthcoming results of a market study of prospective students conducted by the Art & Science Group.
We invite you to engage with this process. We welcome your ideas, comments, suggestions and questions. Please contact Mike Leonard, strategic planning project director, at email@example.com.
Message from the President
“Over the next 18 months, we will work together to produce a new strategic plan – a fresh vision of our future with clear goals, plans for achieving them, and metrics for gauging progress. Much is at stake, and the success of this planning process will hinge on the enthusiastic participation of the entire college community.” – President John C. Knapp, Ph.D.