The Rho Alpha Chapter, chartered at Washington & Jefferson College in 1996, was the first chapter to be established in the state of Pennsylvania.
The Colors of the Society are Blue and White
The Flower of the Society is a Blue Hyacinth.
- The following criteria shall be used as guideline requirements for membership.
- Completion of a minimum of 6 chemistry course units which may include biochemistry 333 (BCH 333), or 5 chemistry course units and currently enrolled in a total of 1 full chemistry course unit 300 or 400 level, with a 3.30 grade point average based on a 4.0 scale, and a 3.50 grade point average in chemistry.
- Students with a minimum overall grade point average of 3.20-3.29 and a minimum grade point average of 3.40-3.49 may be recommended for membership by a majority vote of the chemistry staff.
- Students with a minimum overall grade point average of 3.00 and a minimum chemistry grade point average of 3.00 may be nominated by a member of the chemistry staff and recommended for membership by a majority vote of the department members.
- Transfer students shall be eligible for membership if they are currently enrolled in a total of 1 full chemistry course unit 300 or 400 level with a minimum of two previous chemistry course units taken at Washington and Jefferson College. (Article3, Section A, 1,2,3).
- Membership eligibility would be based solely on academic achievements with no extracurricular activities required.
- Seniors who have met the academic requirements may be nominated for membership.
- Juniors or seniors who are outstanding in chemistry and who will complete the requirements for membership by the end of that academic year may be nominated for membership.
- Continued membership through the senior year is contingent upon favorable academic performance.
- All candidates who meet the above requirements will be recommended for membership by the chemistry staff.
Election of Members
- New members shall be chosen once a year.
- A list prepared by the advisor shall be presented at a chemistry staff meeting of all candidates who have been nominated and meet the requirements of Article 3, Section A. The chemistry staff shall select the new candidates for membership.
- A candidate for membership will receive a written invitation from the advisor to become a member of the local chapter. All candidates must declare in writing their intentions to accept or decline within one week.