Teacher Certification Program admission requirements generally involve the following; however, if you seek a Teacher Certification, please visit the College Catalog Requirements for complete detail:
- Completion of the sophomore year (minimum of 12 courses or 48 semester credit hours of college course work or the full-time equivalent of college level study)
- Two full courses (at least six semester hours or the equivalent) in college level mathematics
- Two full courses (at least six semester hours or the equivalent) in college level English with one course in composition and one course in literature
- 3.0 or better cumulative grade point average at Washington & Jefferson College and on any college course work with a current transcript on file in the Registrar's Office (transfer courses)
- Documentation of passing scores on certification qualifying exams for admission
- Current Criminal Record Clearance (Act 34), Childcare Abuse History Clearance (Act 151), and FBI Clearance (Act 114). Membership in the Student Education Association (PSEA). See the PA Dept. of Education website for more information. Note: Based on State requirements, the fingerprints for the FBI Background Check must be taken in PA at an approved facility run by a company called Cogent.
- Current TB Clearance - originals on file in the Education Office
- Complete Formal Application form
NOTE: All documentation must be on file in the Education Department.
The following are the Committee on the Teaching Profession's (COTP) materials for students. Please read all of the letters and forms related to whichever application process you are engaging in.
Applying for Admission to the program:
Applying for Permission to Student Teach:
- Reference Form: Application for Permission to Student Teach (PDF)
- Application for Permission to Student Teach (PDF)
Please contact Dr. James Longo for Key Due Dates.