Thank you for your interest in Washington & Jefferson College. All applications submitted through our online process will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to the number of applications received, we regret that we are unable to respond to status inquiries regarding whether a position has been filled or send position closing notifications to all applicants. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Global Initiatives, the Assistant Director contributes to the positive experience of international students at W&J and to safe, enriching study abroad program offerings. The Assistant Director works to ensure smooth transitions for students, strives towards effective, creative outreach efforts and serves as a trusted advisor. The Assistant Director must have strong intercultural communication skills, exceptional attention to detail, a student-centered approach and an inclusive attitude.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide an additional layer of support for study abroad and international student initiatives, handle remote and walk-in traffic, serve as a first step for students, and provide initial advising
- Serve as a Designated School Official
- Advise a select caseload of study abroad and international students
- Coordinate office communications and campus outreach, generating social media content, marketing materials, website updates, events and routine messaging to students; use CRM technology
- Coordinate study abroad events and outreach, such as Semester Abroad Showcases, Information Sessions, and re-entry activities
- Work in collaboration with Student Life to ensure an integrated experience for degree seeking and exchange students.
- Collaborate with Registrar, Business Office, and Academic Advising to implement procedures to ensure smooth transitions for inbound and outbound students.
- Coordinate and play a leading role in excursions and programming
- Lead pre-departure and international student orientation, including airport pick-up, event logistics, form collection, and other tasks as necessary.
- Oversee and develop Global Ambassador program
- Foster an inclusive community through the planning and implementation of excursions and activities
- Coordinate study abroad administrative tasks waivers, health information, application materials, etc. and coordinate with other offices on campus to share relevant information
- Coordinate inbound and outbound international health insurance coverage
- Serve as point person for the office when Senior Director is out of the office or traveling
- Oversee student workers, assigning tasks and supplying training as necessary
- Support international student employment program
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree, cross-cultural skills and strong interest in international education. Must have the technical ability and creativity to maintain an online presence through social media management and outreach. Must possess a driver's license with a clean driving record for the past three years, and be willing to drive a passenger van. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong attention to detail. Must be a US citizen or lawful permanent resident.
Preferred Qualifications: Previous work with international students. Experience working in higher education. Demonstrated experience with program planning. Understanding of a residential institution and of the liberal arts educational philosophy. Knowledge of a language other than English, prior study, travel or residency outside of the US desired.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Apply for this job at https://www.washjeff.edu/applicantpro/ . Please submit a cover letter and resume. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee’s total compensation package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
For more information about Title IX compliance, please visit Title IX at W&J. W&J is committed to assisting all members of the W&J community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report can be found by visiting Health, Safety and Security.