Thank you for your interest in Washington & Jefferson College. All applications submitted through our online process will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to the number of applications received, we regret that we are unable to respond to status inquiries regarding whether a position has been filled or send position closing notifications to all applicants. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further.
Reporting to the Vice President of Student Life and Dean of Students, the Associate Dean of Students & Director of Career Pathways is a key leadership member of the division and provides leadership to the Career Pathways Office as well as the Pathways Advising Program. This strategic position is created to provide institutional retention efforts that focus on a 4-year integrated outcome-oriented student experience. In doing so, this individual will work with an outstanding team devoted to leading and enriching campus by working collaboratively and successfully with students, faculty, parents, staff, alumni, and all other constituents. The Associate Dean must: be an outstanding communicator; provide a strategic vision, informed by national practices, for the education of the whole student; be deeply committed to continuing to foster a diverse and inclusive community and a culture of thoughtful, open, and respectful discourse and debate; be an agent of positive community change; be a strong manager; make and communicate difficult decisions effectively; and be energetic, possess outstanding judgment, and exhibit joy in working with students.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as "second in command" to the Vice President of Student Life and Dean of Students.
- Oversee the staff and operation of the Office of Career Pathways and the Pathway Advisors
- Coordinate and take lead on retention-based initiatives.
- Help develop and execute divisional goals and initiatives.
- Provide leadership to advance important campus initiatives and divisional goals by extending and enhancing educational experiences; promoting student wellness and resiliency; fostering a vibrant, inclusive, and equitable residential community; and, delivering high-quality student-centered services.
- Advise and counsel students on a variety of academic, personal, and social matters.
- Respond to student issues, concerns, and crises.
- Master's degree in student affairs or related field; 5-7 years of full-time, substantial and progressive experience in advising and counseling students, and providing support to families.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with independent higher education with an appreciation of the relationship between co-curricular and academic programs at a liberal arts institution.
- Demonstrated experience and/or leadership with career services and retention efforts.
- Experience with personal counseling, and staff supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and develop relationships with multiple stakeholders e.g., students, staff, faculty, alumni.
- Versed in national best practices as it relates to student affairs work and student support.
- Demonstrated success in supporting equitable and excellent experiences for first generation, International, African American, Hispanic/Latinx, and LGBTQ+ students
This position does require supervisory duties.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Apply for this job at https://www.washjeff.edu/applicantpro/ . Please submit a cover letter and resume. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee’s total compensation package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
For more information about Title IX compliance, please visit Title IX at W&J. W&J is committed to assisting all members of the W&J community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report can be found by visiting Health, Safety and Security.