Thank you for your interest in Washington & Jefferson College. All applications submitted through our online process will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to the number of applications received, we regret that we are unable to respond to status inquiries regarding whether a position has been filled or send position closing notifications to all applicants. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further.
The campus security corporal is responsible for ensuring the safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors to the campus. Campus security corporals also address and prevent violations of campus rules and regulations, respond to and investigate complaints and assist to suppress disturbances. The campus security corporal will be under the direct supervision of the campus police administrative sergeant. While on the shift the campus police corporal will be directly under and will take orders from the shift sergeant. The campus police corporal will be responsible for assuming command of the shift in the absence or unavailability of the police sergeant. The campus security corporal will provide specific instructions to campus security and assist them when problems arise. A campus security corporal will also ensure that departmental policies and orders are adhered to and will report violations of the rules to the Administrative Sergeant. Campus security corporals will also assist in employee evaluations and will be assigned duties to perform to assist the department in running efficiently.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts foot and vehicle patrols to promote lawful behavior and to protect the welfare of the campus community by providing an approachable uniformed presence while on campus.
- Secures buildings and property and responds to all calls for service or assistance, provides escorts, and responds to disturbance calls.
- Locks and unlocks buildings, rooms, and classrooms and field locations.
- Monitors surveillance and fire alarm systems and the emergency phone systems throughout the campus.
- Works as a dispatcher, at times, when needed or when assigned by the shift Sergeant.
- Acts as a first responder and provides medical attention and assistance.
- Calls and request police officers to scenes and supports and assists campus police officers when necessary.
- Writes and submits incident reports, parking tags, and other office correspondence.
- Trains and evaluates other campus security officers when required.
- Observes and coach campus security officers on rules and enforces operational orders.
- Makes suggestions on campus policies and provides ideas to help forward the mission statement of the department.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Must possess a clean driving record and be legally permitted to drive in the Commonwealth of Pa.
- Must have at least one year of experience in the security or police related field.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and self- awareness in order to control stressful and emotional situations and to detain and or subdue potentially dangerous individuals.
- Must convey a positive, pleasant and helpful attitude as a representative of W and J College.
- At least a high school graduate or equivalent is required.
- Current first aid/ CPR preferred.
- Act 235 preferred.
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Stand or walk constantly on various surfaces, climb stairs, ramps, and sometimes ladders. Bend at waist, knees, neck to perform various duties. Run as needed.
- Constant use of the eyes to observe, read, interact with the public and co-workers, view security monitors and possess good hand/eye coordination.
- Be able to work in various environments including indoor, and outdoor conditions.
- Constant mental alertness and attention to detail while on patrol rounds and setting priorities and following up on assignments and making sure other security personnel are conducting themselves in the same manner.
- Ability to pass a physical examination by a certified physician.
- Good working knowledge of techniques and practices in modern security work.
- Maintains an operational knowledge of all departmental orders, policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate orally, to hear normal conversation, and to stand, walk, or sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to solve problems and manage emergency situations while exhibiting calm and controlled composure.
The position does not require managing other employees.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Apply for this job at https://www.washjeff.edu/applicantpro/ . Please submit a cover letter and resume. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee’s total compensation package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
For more information about Title IX compliance, please visit Title IX at W&J. W&J is committed to assisting all members of the W&J community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report can be found by visiting Health, Safety and Security.