Thank you for your interest in Washington & Jefferson College. All applications submitted through our online process will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to the number of applications received, we regret that we are unable to respond to status inquiries regarding whether a position has been filled or send position closing notifications to all applicants. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further.
The Campus Security Officer is responsible for ensuring the safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors, responding to emergencies, and protecting campus property. The position requires the ability to work shifts as scheduled, including weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts foot and vehicle patrols to promote lawful behavior and protect the welfare of the community by
- providing a uniformed presence on campus.
- Secures Buildings and property and responds to calls requesting assistance, escorts and calls of disturbances.
- Locks and unlocks buildings as well as monitors surveillance and fire alarm systems.
- Enforces parking regulations and controls traffic during special events.
- Acts as first responder and provides medical assistance.
- Requests sworn officers and supports and assists sworn officers when necessary.
- Writes and submits Incident Reports.
- Trains other Campus Security Officers when required.
- Work as a dispatcher in the absence and assigned dispatcher.
- Must be able to pass criminal background check.
- Must have clean driving record and be legally permitted to drive in the state of PA.
- One year experience in a security related field preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and self-awareness in order to control stressful and emotional situations and to detain or
- subdue potentially dangerous individuals.
- Must convey a positive, pleasant and helpful attitude as a representative of the College.
- High school graduation or the equivalent is required.
- Current first aid/CPR card preferred.
- Must be able to make rapid and accurate decisions during emergency situations.
- Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Stand or walk constantly for up to an entire shift on various surfaces tile, concrete, carpet.
- Climb stairs, ramps, or ladders occasionally during shift.
- Occasionally bend/twist at waist/knees/neck to perform various duties.
- Run as needed.
- Constant use of eyes correctable vision to normal level required to observe, read, interact with public and coworkers,
- view security monitors; includes hand/eye coordination.
- Work in various environments including adverse outdoor conditions such as cold, rain or heat.
- Constant mental alertness and attention to detail required while setting priorities and following up on assignments
- Ability to pass physical examination by a certified physician.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee’s total compensation package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
For more information about Title IX compliance, please visit Title IX at W&J. W&J is committed to assisting all members of the W&J community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report can be found by visiting Health, Safety and Security.
As a condition of employment, Washington & Jefferson College requires all staff and faculty to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Prior or upon commencement of employment, new hires must provide proof of their vaccination or have an approved exemption.
For more information on our COVID-19 vaccination policy, click here.