Thank you for your interest in Washington & Jefferson College. All applications submitted through our online process will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to the number of applications received, we regret that we are unable to respond to status inquiries regarding whether a position has been filled or send position closing notifications to all applicants. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further.
The Compliance Officer and Title IX Coordinator serves as the primary authority for monitoring and coordinating regulatory compliance across all operating divisions of Washington & Jefferson College, including responsibility for education and training to prevent sexual misconduct, as well as oversight of the process for investigating and resolving matters arising under Title IX. The Compliance Officer and Title IX Coordinator will promote the highest standards of ethics, integrity, and responsibility among students, faculty, staff, and contracted vendors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides guidance, collaboration, and support to all operating units of the college to ensure effective compliance with legal statutes, regulations, and college policies including, but not limited to government reporting, procurement, grant reporting, and records retention.
- Prepares and disseminates the college's annual Clery Report and the Security & Fire Safety Report and identifies Campus Security Authorities CSAs and notifies them of reporting obligations.
- Collaborates with operating units in the development of educational and training programs to ensure that appropriate employees are knowledgeable of key institutional policies and pertinent legal requirements.
- Regularly report to senior management and the Board of Trustees on assessments of compliance risk and related activities and attends Board Committee meetings as requested.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive compliance database to assist each office with monitoring and reporting of compliance-related information.
- Oversees the process requiring vendors to sign and follow a code of ethical responsibility.
Title IX Responsibilities
- Coordinated and implements education and training to students and employees to promote a culture of respect and to prevent sexual misconduct and discrimination, ensuring that all members of the college community understand their responsibilities and rights under the law.
- Documents, reports, and maintains records of mandatory training
- Oversees and coordinates investigations, responses, and resolutions of complaints relating to reports of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and other related policy violations.
- Oversees institutional compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of the 1972 Civil Rights Act "Title IX", and the Violence Against Women Act Reauthorization of 2013 "VAWA" Violence Elimination Act "Campus SaVE", and other related federal and state laws. Remains current with Title IX related developments and changes and keeps abreast with current federal and state laws, regulations, and policies related to discriminatory practices.
- Works closely with Student Life, Human Resources, Academic Affairs, Campus and Public Safety, and all other areas of the College to ensure that compliance and educational efforts cover all applicable laws relating to sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, gender and interpersonal violence, sexual assault and other such violations.
- Monitors campus climate regarding sex discrimination, stalking and relationship violence while collaborating with senior leadership and others to identify and address systemic problems.
- Collaborates with interpersonal violence prevention programming with the Division of Student Life.
- Master's degree in relevant field is preferred.
- Five 5 years of experience in higher education, including formal Title IX responsibilities.
- Working knowledge of applicable federal law and regulations, including the Clery Act and the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act.
- Proven ability to provide effective and appropriate advice and counsel to all levels with the college community.
- Proven ability to investigate and analyze claims information and draw conclusions.
- Proficiency in conflict resolution and/or mediation.
- Ability to implement and monitor administrative systems to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Strong communication verbal and written and interpersonal skills combined with the ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues and students having a range of backgrounds, interests, and perspectives.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to receive and manage confidential information.
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal employment, civil rights, and higher education laws.
- Ability to develop and/or interpret complex regulatory or legal documents.
- Ability to communicate complex compliance and ethics concepts to administrators, faculty, staff, and students; and adapt willingly and quickly to changing priorities, responsibilities, administration, faculty, and staff needs and expectations; anticipate and identify institutional needs
This position has no supervisory duties at present.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Apply for this job at https://www.washjeff.edu/applicantpro/ . Please submit a cover letter and resume. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee’s total compensation package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
For more information about Title IX compliance, please visit Title IX at W&J. W&J is committed to assisting all members of the W&J community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report can be found by visiting Health, Safety and Security.