Thank you for your interest in Washington & Jefferson College. All applications submitted through our online process will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to the number of applications received, we regret that we are unable to respond to status inquiries regarding whether a position has been filled or send position closing notifications to all applicants. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further.
Reporting to the Vice President of Student Life and Dean of Students, the Director of Residence Life is a key leadership member of the division of Student Life and serves as a colleague to the Student Life Leadership Team. The Director of Residence Life will lead an outstanding team of professional staff members who are focused on enriching the residential student experience at W&J.
We are seeking a Director who will be an empathetic and high energy leader who will champion a vision for housing and residence life at W&J. The Director will be a dynamic leader who will empower their team, along with those with whom they collaborate, to develop a living and learning environment in which students will flourish. Specifically, the individual in this position will be an innovative thinker, strong communicator; provide a strategic vision, informed by national practices, for the education of the whole student; be deeply committed to continuing to foster a diverse and inclusive community and a culture of thoughtful, open, and respectful discourse and debate; be an agent of positive community change; be a strong manager; make and communicate difficult decisions effectively; and be energetic, possess sound judgment, and exhibit joy in working with students. The opportunity to live on campus is available to the Director but it is not required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide supervision of staff, coordination of housing and residence life functions
- Oversee housing operations, including opening and closing, housing assignments, collaborative with Facilities management, Business Office and other campus stakeholders
- Oversee data management relative to occupancy reports and records
- Administer the process for residential accommodations
- Serve on various college committees, such as the College Budget Committee
- Organizational Strategy
- Develop and implement a residential experience that achieve departmental, divisional and institutional goals in regard to persistence, retention and flourishing
- Collaborate with other stakeholders to advance a sense of belonging and connection for students in residence
- Innovate new experiences and practices to elevate the student residential experience
- Advance important campus initiatives and divisional goals by extending and enhancing educational experiences; promoting student wellness and resiliency; fostering a vibrant, inclusive, and equitable residential community; and delivering high-quality student-centered services.
- Provide support and mentorship for paraprofessional staff, in residence life and across campus.
- Work collaboratively with others across campus on retention-based programming initiatives.
- Crisis Management
- Oversee the Administrator on Call Team and provide support for medical, safety and security emergencies
- Implement procedures that ensure compliance with all emergency protocols in collaboration with other departments
- Serve as a member of the CARE team
- Master's Degree in Higher Education or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in residence life or related area of student affairs.
- Management experience preferred.
- Must be able to perform diverse duties and responsibilities in a high-energy environment with the ability to respond to the changing needs and demands of the faculty, staff, and students.
- Must embrace diversity and create a department that is inclusive and accessible.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, public relations, and customer service skills are essential.
- Ability to learn and utilize technology including an understanding of using social media to engage students.
- Must have strong event and project management skills.
This position requires managing a team of 4-5 professional staff members.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Apply for this job at https://washjeff.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Please submit a cover letter and resume. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee's total compensation package.
Getting to Know W&J
Washington & Jefferson College is the best of both worlds: a small-town college setting in historic Washington, Pa., with easy access to the bustling business and cultural districts of nearby Pittsburgh, Pa. just 30 miles to the north. Founded in 1781, W&J College is a private, residential liberal arts college that is focused on student success. Our dedicated, experienced professors are passionate about teaching and work closely with our students to ensure that they receive a quality, comprehensive education. For more than 200 years, our alumni have influenced change in business, politics, medicine, and the arts and sciences as CEOs, lawyers, doctors, researchers, writers, teachers, and in many other equally worthy professions.
Washington & Jefferson College welcomes people of all backgrounds and beliefs who wish to participate in a diverse educational community. The College strives to be a place where all students, faculty, administrators and employees are able to live, study and work in an atmosphere free from bias and harassment. The College encourages civil debate and lively exchange of ideas in the belief that such exchanges promote understanding that will grow beyond simple tolerance of difference to embracing and celebrating the richness of diversity. Our graduates acquire knowledge and learn skills that help them thrive in a culturally diverse world.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College W&J is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee’s total compensation package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
For more information about Title IX compliance, please visit Title IX at W&J. W&J is committed to assisting all members of the W&J community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report can be found by visiting Health, Safety and Security.
As a condition of employment, Washington & Jefferson College requires all staff and faculty to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Prior or upon commencement of employment, new hires must provide proof of their vaccination or have an approved exemption.
For more information on our COVID-19 vaccination policy, click here.