Thank you for your interest in Washington & Jefferson College. All applications submitted through our online process will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to the number of applications received, we regret that we are unable to respond to status inquiries regarding whether a position has been filled or send position closing notifications to all applicants. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further.
Responsible for the operation, maintenance, repair, of facilities and systems. Work may involve exposure to hazardous materials.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform simple plumbing installation and repairs
- Repair and install walls and ceilings
- Paint interior and exterior surfaces
- Perform general carpentry
- Responsible for event set up of microphone and sound equipment and ensures reliable operation of event use equipment
- Installs and repairs doors and hardware, including overhead doors
- Replaces window glass, glazes window; repairs, installs and reseals windows
- Removal and replacement of concrete and stone pavers
- Repair and replace damaged roof areas
- Repair, replacement and installation carpet and floor tiles
- Installs and repairs furnishings, fixtures, and equipment
- Changes light bulbs, ballasts and broken lenses where required
- Installs, repairs and maintains window air conditioning units
- Performs basic electrical outlet and switch repairs including breaker resets
- Performs basic repairs to audiovisual, telecommunication, and data equipment
- Must participate with overtime staff coverage, as needed, to address campus needs and will participate on the physical plant weekly "on-call" listing. Refusal to participate will be subject to disciplinary action
- Additional job-related duties as required by the supervisor
- Must use College owned vehicles to traverse campus to efficiently complete daily work tasks, includes the use of a bucket truck or JLG lift
- Assists in loading and unloading trucks during major moves as required
- Assembles and works from scaffolding
- Removes snow and ice from College roads, parking lots, sidewalks and steps
- May perform athletic and event set-ups and break down as required
- Valid PA driver's license
- Able to read, write, and comprehend at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- 12 months work experience preferred in one of the following areas; Carpentry, concrete, dry wall installation and repair, plumbing, painting, plaster installation and repair, windows, doors, and keys, tiles; roofing, welding burning soldering, general maintenance
- Must be able to read schematics
- Ability to follow instructions given either orally or in writing
- Ability to learn to use hand tools, power tools and power equipment
- Knowledge of basic safety.
- Lift up to 80 pounds
- Ability to push and pull
- Walk up to 8 hours per day
- Climb ladders, stairs, and scaffolding
- Use basic hand tools
- Stamina for prolonged or short-term physical exertion
This position has no supervisory duties
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Apply for this job at https://washjeff.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Please submit a cover letter and resume. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee's total compensation package.
Getting to Know W&J
Washington & Jefferson College is the best of both worlds: a small-town college setting in historic Washington, Pa., with easy access to the bustling business and cultural districts of nearby Pittsburgh, Pa. just 30 miles to the north. Founded in 1781, W&J College is a private, residential liberal arts college that is focused on student success. Our dedicated, experienced professors are passionate about teaching and work closely with our students to ensure that they receive a quality, comprehensive education. For more than 200 years, our alumni have influenced change in business, politics, medicine, and the arts and sciences as CEOs, lawyers, doctors, researchers, writers, teachers, and in many other equally worthy professions.
Washington & Jefferson College welcomes people of all backgrounds and beliefs who wish to participate in a diverse educational community. The College strives to be a place where all students, faculty, administrators and employees are able to live, study and work in an atmosphere free from bias and harassment. The College encourages civil debate and lively exchange of ideas in the belief that such exchanges promote understanding that will grow beyond simple tolerance of difference to embracing and celebrating the richness of diversity. Our graduates acquire knowledge and learn skills that help them thrive in a culturally diverse world.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College W&J is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee’s total compensation package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
For more information about Title IX compliance, please visit Title IX at W&J. W&J is committed to assisting all members of the W&J community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report can be found by visiting Health, Safety and Security.
As a condition of employment, Washington & Jefferson College requires all staff and faculty to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Prior or upon commencement of employment, new hires must provide proof of their vaccination or have an approved exemption.
For more information on our COVID-19 vaccination policy, click here.