Thank you for your interest in Washington & Jefferson College. All applications submitted through our online process will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to the number of applications received, we regret that we are unable to respond to status inquiries regarding whether a position has been filled or send position closing notifications to all applicants. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further.
The Student Success Consultant promotes an increase in learning, persistence and graduation through holistically addressing students' W&J experiences. The Student Success Consultant provides educational guidance, support, and assistance using a variety of consultative techniques to create personalized interventions, coaching, and support services for W&J first-year students. As a member of the Student Life Team, the SSC will champion a student centered approach in supporting student development and success. Each consultant will also have a collateral assignment which will involve focus on an additional program/initiative at W&J.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct one-on-one meetings with students to develop learning, financial and life strategies that promote student success, specifically focusing on developing skills in time/stress management, managing freedoms, goal setting, creating study plans, understanding resources and other student success skills and strategies.
- Co-supervise the LINK peer mentor program.
- Work closely with other College departments and offices to provide institutional resources and guidance to students to overcome barriers to student success.
- Foster the development of critical and creative thinking skills, problem solving, learning strategies, and skills to improve success inside and outside of the classroom, more connections to the campus community, and emphasis on future goals.
- In collaboration with faculty advisors, assist students with success in academic planning in terms of academic opportunities at W&J.
- Determine the best personalized course of action to proactively serve individualized students, as well as provide follow through and track the advancement of provided services through intentional assessment and evaluation.
- Identify policies, processes, procedures, and behaviors that create barriers to student success and work with the VP of Student Life & Dean of Students to address and resolve institutional level issues.
- Manage and monitor early alert issues for first-year students to create intervention strategies to resolve student issues.
- Serve on college committees and work collaboratively with key areas to support student persistence and graduation initiatives.
- Perform other duties as required; some evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Bachelor's Degree, Master's preferred.
- A minimum of two years of experience working in an academic setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with key stakeholders and constituent groups and foster a spirit of engagement.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to use technology to effectively manage case load and work with students.
- Superior negotiation, problem solving, and service skills.
This position does not require supervisory duties.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Apply for this job at https://www.washjeff.edu/applicantpro/ . Please submit a cover letter and resume. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee’s total compensation package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
For more information about Title IX compliance, please visit Title IX at W&J. W&J is committed to assisting all members of the W&J community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report can be found by visiting Health, Safety and Security.