Thank you for your interest in Washington & Jefferson College. All applications submitted through our online process will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to the number of applications received, we regret that we are unable to respond to status inquiries regarding whether a position has been filled or send position closing notifications to all applicants. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further.
The Technical Services Assistant for Collections is a member of the Technical Services team and supports the Head of Technical Services in acquiring physical and electronic materials and making these materials available to the library's patrons. This position also provides support for library collection assessment and general operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages Acquisitions
- Life cycle management of one-time purchases and licenses
- Receives items and initiates necessary processing
- Collaborates with the Office Manager to facilitate payment of invoices
- Manages and regularly reconciles library budget lines
- Reviews and processes donations in cooperation with the librarians
- Identifies and imports MARC records into our library catalog
- Adds library specific fields to facilitate discovery and assessment
- Updates the catalog to reflect withdrawals
- Maintains holdings in WorldCat for physical materials
- Technical Services Operations
- Manages package receiving
- Manages physical processing of items
- Assists with mail distribution
- Trains and supervises Technical Services student workers
- In collaboration with the other Tech Services Asst, monitors usage of supplies and initiates ordering when needed
- Supports Collection Development & Analysis
- Distributes collection development tools to the liaison librarians
- Maintains schedule for regular collection analysis tasks
- Collects statistics to contribute to collection assessment and reporting
- Supports Library operations
- Assists patrons with directional, technical, and ready reference questions through in-person and virtual shifts during assigned days, evening, and weekend hours
- Collaborates with professional librarians to escalate questions when appropriate
- The ability to work in a team environment with accuracy, integrity, and sound judgment
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Flexibility in adapting to changing departmental and organizational priorities and evolving technologies
- Proficiency with office equipment and procedures, desktop and mobile operating systems, and Microsoft Office applications
- Experience working in a library
- Experience with budget management
- Familiarity with Library Service Platforms
This position supervises student workers.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Apply for this job at https://washjeff.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Please submit a cover letter and resume. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee's total compensation package.
Getting to Know W&J
Washington & Jefferson College is the best of both worlds: a small-town college setting in historic Washington, Pa., with easy access to the bustling business and cultural districts of nearby Pittsburgh, Pa. just 30 miles to the north. Founded in 1781, W&J College is a private, residential liberal arts college that is focused on student success. Our dedicated, experienced professors are passionate about teaching and work closely with our students to ensure that they receive a quality, comprehensive education. For more than 200 years, our alumni have influenced change in business, politics, medicine, and the arts and sciences as CEOs, lawyers, doctors, researchers, writers, teachers, and in many other equally worthy professions.
Washington & Jefferson College welcomes people of all backgrounds and beliefs who wish to participate in a diverse educational community. The College strives to be a place where all students, faculty, administrators and employees are able to live, study and work in an atmosphere free from bias and harassment. The College encourages civil debate and lively exchange of ideas in the belief that such exchanges promote understanding that will grow beyond simple tolerance of difference to embracing and celebrating the richness of diversity. Our graduates acquire knowledge and learn skills that help them thrive in a culturally diverse world.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College W&J is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee’s total compensation package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
For more information about Title IX compliance, please visit Title IX at W&J. W&J is committed to assisting all members of the W&J community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report can be found by visiting Health, Safety and Security.
As a condition of employment, Washington & Jefferson College requires all staff and faculty to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Prior or upon commencement of employment, new hires must provide proof of their vaccination or have an approved exemption.
For more information on our COVID-19 vaccination policy, click here.