Thank you for your interest in Washington & Jefferson College. All applications submitted through our online process will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to the number of applications received, we regret that we are unable to respond to status inquiries regarding whether a position has been filled or send position closing notifications to all applicants. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further.
The Washington Area Business Incubator WABI is a collaborative effort among Washington & Jefferson College, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Washington County, the City of Washington, and the Observer Publishing Company now Ogden Publishing Company. Conceived some seven years ago, the concept evolved into a formal business plan in 2016 with assistance of an external consultant who validated the opportunity. In 2017, a team then conducted a series of community gatherings and a comprehensive survey to assess the market need and further validate the demand for a business incubator in Washington County. After this validation, the vision for WABI became clear: to be a catalyst for economic development in Washington County. WABI will be comprised of an integrated ecosystem of entrepreneurs with a focus on:
- Providing a platform for growth for existing small businesses and start-up businesses
- Engaging and empowering Washington County residents, W&J students and alumni, and others in the surrounding area to transform their idea into an enterprise
- Revitalizing the downtown Washington, Pa. area.
The Manager position is extremely important to the success of the WABI. This person:
- Is the first point of contact for important sponsors, service providers, Advisory Board members, prospective affiliates and tenants, and any visitors to the incubator;
- Has business development, programming and marketing responsibilities to increase awareness of and draw potential tenants to the incubator;
- Will perform receptionist duties on behalf of affiliates and tenants, which will also require answering phones; and
- Will perform all duties required in managing the physical space of the incubator.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Business recruitment and retention for incubator program
- Tenant relations: informal interactions with tenants and communication to the WABI Director of any tenant- or affiliate-related matters that may impact business success or the operation of the WABI
- Arrangement and oversight of regular educational, informal and social functions between tenants, affiliates, the WABI Director, Advisory Board members, and service providers to provide entrepreneurial assistance, build a sense of community, create networking opportunities, reduce stress and celebrate successes within the incubator
- Preparation of monthly tenant and affiliate invoices and distribution thereof after approval by the WABI Director
- Answering telephones for WABI and its affiliates and tenants, reception of visitors, processing incoming and outgoing messages for the WABI Director, tenants, and affiliates
- Clerical support of the WABI operations, including word-processing, bookkeeping and filing but only for the incubator operations, not for individual tenants
- Maintenance of affiliate agreement and tenant lease files, and preparation of agreement and lease documents for review and execution by the WABI Director
- May provide support to Academic Affairs on an as needed basis
- Other duties as assigned
- Assist the WABI Director by:
- Arranging for repair and maintenance of equipment, furnishings and facilities, as well as assuming increasing responsibility for certain repair and maintenance activities
- Managing facility-related issues that arise both by taking initiative to address those issues and informing the WABI Director or W&J Facilities Manager on a timely basis of the issues, actions taken, and/or recommendations
- BA in Business Management or any business-related degree or equivalent experience
- Basic bookkeeping and general administration
- Relationship management
- Event planning
- Microsoft Office applications; Word, Excel, Office
- Experience in working with entrepreneurs a plus
This position does not require supervisory duties.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Apply for this job at https://www.washjeff.edu/applicantpro/ . Please submit a cover letter and resume. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee’s total compensation package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
For more information about Title IX compliance, please visit Title IX at W&J. W&J is committed to assisting all members of the W&J community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report can be found by visiting Health, Safety and Security.