Safety and security is of the utmost importance at W&J. Campus & Public Safety is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to safeguard and serve the students, staff, faculty and visitors of the College community. The department consists of sworn and unsworn officers, who are devoted to the safety of W&J's campus. Officers regularly patrol the campus and are available to respond to situations as needed. Campus Safety & Public Safety is located in Old Main.
The Director of Campus & Public Safety's office is in The HUB. As such, he is available to consult and meet with students on a regular basis. We encourage students to fully utilize the services of Campus & Public Safety as we all work to make W&J a safe environment which is fully conducive to student learning and success.
The College has in place a number of measures to ensure the safety and security of students, staff, faculty, and visitors. These include:
- Residence halls and selected academic buildings which are secured by 24-hour key card access.
- Thirty-three emergency call boxes which are located at strategic places across campus. These boxes are automatically programmed to call the Office of Campus & Public Safety, provide the location of the call to the office, and flash a blue light when the box is in use.
- A 24 hour escort system, available by contacting Campus & Public Safety.
- Campus is patrolled by officers at all times.
- Security cameras are located throughout campus and are continuously monitored.
- Exterior safety lighting is located around all buildings, as well as on sidewalks and streets.
- Support personnel who inspect campus and its buildings regularly to discover and correct health, safety, and maintenance problems.
- Emergency maintenance services which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Resident Assistants monitor general student safety and maintenance concerns within residence halls.
- A Safety Committee meets regularly to review all safety protocols, identify risks, and recommend action to ensure safe conditions.
Emergency Text Messages
In an effort to better disseminate emergency information, the College has implemented a mass notification text messaging system powered by e2Campus. This emergency messaging system will alert students, faculty, and staff during a campus or weather emergency via a text message to your mobile phone.
The service is completely voluntary and standard message rates from your carrier will apply; however, you must be registered to receive the alerts. As this system is for emergency situations, advertisements and non-emergency text messages will not be sent to you.
You can sign up for the system here.
Emergency Blue Light Phones
To activate the phone, press and hold red button for 1-2 seconds; phone will automatically make call to Campus & Public Safety. They will then be able to identify your location via the phone you called from.
The blue light will flash to more easily identify your location as long as the phone is in use.
The phone number for Campus & Public Safety is 724-223-6032. They can be reached 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. You may also text Campus & Public Safety at 724-255-3968. Be sure to program these numbers into your mobile phone.