Study Abroad

Any student who is considering studying abroad for a semester or academic year must first meet with the Director of Study Abroad and Off-Campus Programs. The Office of Financial Aid will then work with the student to determine what financial aid is available for the specific program of study. Generally, the following forms of financial aid can be used to cover costs of an approved study abroad program:

  • Federal PELL Grant
  • Federal SEOG Grant
  • Federal Direct Loan
  • PA State Grant (for other states, please check with the Office of Financial Aid)
  • Private Educational Loan
  • PLUS Loan
  • Perkins Loan

The use of W&J funding (grants and scholarships) to cover study abroad costs is contingent upon program approval from the Director of Study Abroad and Off-Campus Programs and the term of study. Please note that W&J funding is only awarded for a total of eight semesters.

Students wishing to study abroad during Intersession should be aware that trip costs cannot be covered by W&J funds (grants or scholarships). Students may use any remaining federal loan eligibility or apply for a private educational loan. Students must complete a Cost of Attendance Adjustment Form in order for the Office of Financial Aid to determine eligibility. We also encourage students to visit the Office of Study Abroad for scholarship opportunities.