Financial Aid FAQ

You've got questions? We have answers!

What is the tuition rate for the fall term?

The tuition and fees rates for the 2020-2021 academic year can be found here.

Is the activity fee remaining the same?

No. There will be a 20% reduction in the activity fee for all students for the Fall 2020 semester.

Will student work and work study opportunities be available for the Fall 2020 semester?

Yes, we will have student worker and work study opportunities during the Fall 2020 semester.

Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

If you wish to be reviewed for need-based financial aid programs, such as grants, and/or take advantage of federal loan programs, you must complete a FAFSA every year.

What happens to my financial aid in future years?

We are committed to awarding aid at approximately the same level unless there has been a significant change to the family’s financial situation as reflected on the FAFSA. Merit awards can be renewed for a maximum of eight semesters as long as students maintain their GPA requirement.

What should I do if my parent loses his/her job and can't afford to help me pay for college?

If a situation arises that causes a drastic change in a family’s financial situation after the FAFSA has been filed, special circumstances may be applied for. Call the Office of Financial Aid at 724-223-6019 to discuss the level of lost income. If significant, a Special Circumstances Form will be mailed to the student in order to re-evaluate the financial aid package. If a Pennsylvania resident, the student will also be mailed a Reduced Income Form for PA state grant eligibility.

What does it mean if I am selected for verification?

The federal government requires that we verify a number of students’ FAFSA’s by comparing the results with the data reported on their family’s income tax returns. If selected, you will be asked to provide our office with your Federal Tax Return Transcripts, W-2’s, and a completed Financial Aid Verification Worksheet. Discrepancies in the data reported could result in a change to the financial aid package.

What happens if I decide to change my housing status?

The W&J housing policy requires the primary residence of commuters to be located within fifteen miles of campus, and students must apply for permission to change housing status through the Office of Residence Life. A change from on campus to off campus will not result in a change to financial aid. A change from resident to commuter (living at home with parents or guardians) may result in a change to the student’s financial aid.

What options are available for paying the balance remaining after financial aid is deducted?

The remaining balance can be paid with a personal payment by check or credit card, payments can be arranged through the College’s tuition payment plan, or loans with the student and or parent as the borrower. A combination of the above listed methods may also be used if that’s more convenient.

What are my options if my financial aid is in excess of what I owe the college?

If a student’s account develops a credit balance, that amount may be refunded to the student directly or may be credited to costs incurred during the subsequent semester. All credit balances are refunded to students at the end of each spring term.