Ask me about....
James March, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biology
James March is an Associate Professor in the Biology Department and involved in the Environmental Studies, Physical Activity & Wellness, and Conflict and Resolution programs. Since starting at W&J in 2002, he has taught a wide variety of classes. He currently teaches Ecology, Invertebrate Biology, Foundations in Evolution and Biological Diversity; Ecological Research; Introduction to Environmental Studies; First Year Seminar; Fly Fishing; and Connecting Nature and Wellness. During W&J’s signature Jayterm, he has co-taught Tropical Ecology and Conservation in Costa Rica, Sharing Science, and Conservation Photography.
Dr. March’s research integrates questions on the species, community and ecosystem level and has been conducted in both temperate and tropical locations. He uses a variety of methods including descriptive studies, in situ and laboratory experiments, and stable isotope analysis. His previous research focused on the ecology and conservation of tropical island streams and was conducted in Kosrae, Federated States of Micronesia, Puerto Rico, and Dominica. His recent research focuses on the ecology and conservation of southwestern Pennsylvania. Recent collaborations with students have examined the turtle populations in local ponds, salamander and crayfish populations in headwater streams, and aquatic macroinvertebrates. He also studies environmental issues in China through W&J’s Luce Initiative on Asian Studies and the Environment.
Dr. March also uses photography to teach ecology to local middle school children and is active in campus sustainability and civic engagement initiatives.
- Bowne, D.R., B.J. Consentino, L.J. Anderson, S. Cooke, J.J. Dosch, D. Garneau, T.S. Fredericksen, M.B. Kolozsvary, E.S. Lindquist, J.G. March, R.A. Urban, C.R. Zimmerman. 2019. Conservation Biology 33:1197-1199.
- Bowne, D.R., B.J. Consentino, L.J. Anderson, C.P. Bloch, S. Cooke, P.W. Crumrine, J. Dallas, A. Doran, J.J. Dosch, D.L. Druckenbrod, R.D. Durtsche, D. Garneau, K.S. Genet, T.S. Fredericksen, P.A. Kish, M.B. Kolozsvary, F.T. Kuserk, E.S. Lindquist, C. Mankoewicz, J.G. March, T.J. Muir, K.G. Murray, M.N. Santulli, F.J. Sicignano, P.D. Smallwood, R.A. Urban, K. Winnett-Murray, C. R. Zimmermann. 2018. Effects of urbanization on the population structure of freshwater turtles across the United States. Conservation Biology 32:1150-1161.
- Simmons, J.A., M. Anderson, W. Dress, C. Hanna, D.J. Hornbach, A. Janmaat, F. Kuserk, J.G. March, T. Murray, J. Niedzwiecki, D. Panvini, B. Pohlad, C. Thomas, and L. Vasseur. 2015. A comparison of the temperature regime of short stream segments under forested and non-forested riparian zones at eleven sites across North America. River Research and Applications 31, 964-974.
- Benstead, J.P., W.F. Cross, J.G. March, W.H. McDowell, A. Ramirez, and A.P. Covich. 2010. Biotic and abiotic controls on the ecosystem significance of consumer excretion in two contrasting tropical streams. Freshwater Biology 55, 2047-2061.
- Benstead, J.P., J.G. March, C.M. Pringle, K.C. Ewel, and J.W. Short. 2009. Biodiversity and ecosystem function in species-poor communities: community structure and leaf litter breakdown in a Pacific island stream. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 28: 454-465.
- Benstead, J.P., J.G. March, B. Fry, K.C. Ewel and C.M. Pringle. 2006. Testing Isosource: Stable Isotope Analysis of a tropical fishery with diverse organic matter sources. Ecology 87: 326-333.
- Greathouse, E.A., C. M. Pringle and J.G. March. 2005. Recovery of tropical stream structure and function after a poisoning event. Freshwater Biology 50: 603-615.
- March, J.G., J.P. Benstead, F.S. Scatena, and C.M. Pringle. 2003. Damming tropical island streams: Problems, Solutions, and Alternatives. BioScience 53: 1069-1078.
- March, J.G., J.P Benstead, C.M. Pringle and M. Luckymis. 2003. Benthic community structure and invertebrate drift in a Pacific island stream, Kosrae, Micronesia. Biotropica 35: 125-130.
- March, J.G., and C.M. Pringle. 2003. Food web structure and basal resource utilization along a tropical island stream continuum, Puerto Rico. Biotropica 35: 84-93.
- March, J.G., C.M. Pringle, M.J. Townsend, and A.I. Wilson. 2002. Effects of freshwater shrimp assemblages on benthic communities along an altitudinal gradient of a tropical island stream. Freshwater Biology 47: 377-390.