Chemistry is the central science, connecting biology, physics, medicine, environmental sciences, neuroscience, and engineering. We offer a rigorous program, certified by the American Chemical Society, and housed in the LEED-certified Swanson Science Center equipped with research-grade instrumentation. Students have the opportunity to conduct one-on-one research with faculty members, often presenting their work at regional and national conferences. We provide leadership opportunities. Students can serve as laboratory assistants and participate in outreach events like Saturday Science.
Beyond the Classroom
Students have a wide array of opportunities for research, internships, conferences, and networking beyond the classroom that give them an advantage to prepare for life after W&J.
Research and Internships
- Students have done internships at the FBI, NYU, Kinex Pharmaceuticals, Mylan, Pitt, & UCLA.
- Our students have presented at national conferences in San Diego, Denver, Orlando, Chicago, New Orleans, & Washington, D.C.
- Students have been awarded W&J funding to conduct research in England, the Netherlands, France, Ecuador, Spain, Costa Rica, & China.
- Students have earned graduate degrees from Penn State, Columbia, Princeton, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Pitt, Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, & MIT.
- They’ve attended medical school at George Washington, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Penn State, WVU, Temple, & South Carolina.
- They’ve won fellowships and recognition from Fulbright and the National Science Foundation.
- Possibilities include industry, forensic science, patent law, teaching, the brewing industry, toxicology, medicine, research, hospital administration, engineering, & public health.
- Alumni are employed at Merck, DuPont, PPG, Intel, L’Oréal, UPMC, the FBI, & Siemens Engineering. They are surgeons, chemists, physical therapists, hospitalists, lawyers, etc.