Washington & Jefferson College has been preparing the best and brightest students to be our nation’s finest teachers for well over two centuries. Building on this historic tradition, W&J’s education department has become nationally and internationally recognized for its cutting edge, hands-on teacher education programs. Its curriculum and professors have won numerous awards. Most importantly, its students have among the highest job placement rates of any college or university in the state. Our active learning motto is “Docendo Discimus - we learn by teaching.”
The W&J Education Department offers four options for students seeking teacher certification in the state of Pennsylvania:
- Early Childhood Certification in grades Prek-4.
- Grades 4-8 for Language Arts or Mathematics or Science or Social Studies.
- Secondary Education Certification in grades 7-12 for Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, Physics, or Social Studies.
- Specialty Area Certification in grades Prek-12 for Art Education, French, German, or Spanish.
- Dual Special Education Certification in PreK-8 or 7-12 may be added on to the areas listed above.
Beyond the Classroom
Students have a wide array of opportunities for research, internships, conferences, and networking beyond the classroom that give them an advantage to prepare for life after W&J.
Research and Internships
- Students research and connect theory and best practice through educational internships at urban, suburban, and rural schools locally and abroad in all core education classes.
- Education students have received a record number of international Fulbright teaching awards.
- Classroom teacher in PreK-4; grades 4-8; grades 7-12; specialty teacher grades PreK-12 (Art, French, German, and Spanish); Special Education PreK-8 or 7-12
- School counselor, school psychologist, child advocate, principal, curriculum director
- Superintendent (with additional graduate studies)