Washington & Jefferson College has been preparing the best and brightest students to be our nation’s finest teachers for well over two centuries. Building on this historic tradition, W&J’s education department has become nationally and internationally recognized for its cutting-edge, hands-on teacher education programs. Its curriculum and professors have won numerous awards. Most importantly, its students have among the highest job placement rates of any college or university in the state. Our active learning motto is “Docendo Discimus – we learn by teaching.”
The W&J Education Department offers four options for students seeking teacher certification in the state of Pennsylvania:
- Early Childhood Certification in grades Prek-4.
- Grades 4-8 for Language Arts or Mathematics or Science or Social Studies.
- Secondary Education Certification in grades 7-12 for Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, Physics, or Social Studies.
- Specialty Area Certification in grades Prek-12 for Art Education, French, German, or Spanish.
- Dual Special Education Certification in PreK-8 or 7-12 may be added on to the areas listed above.
See the special requirements for admission to the education programs at W&J College, and review the exit criteria for graduates.