IF YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY, PLEASE CALL: 724-223-6032
The Department of Campus & Public Safety at Washington & Jefferson College is committed to maintaining the safest possible environment for all W&J students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the College community.
Located on first floor of Old Main, the Campus and Public Safety Office is open 24 hours daily, seven days a week. Members of the 17-person staff, include sworn police officers supplemented by security officers who are focused on security, general safety and fire safety, and who are devoted to the safety of W&J's campus. The officers are empowered by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to enforce laws, make arrests, and prosecute violators on property owned or controlled by the College and on adjacent streets and properties.
In addition to regular patrols of campus, the Campus & Public Safety staff, working with the campus Safety Committee, have implemented the following:
- 24-hour card-only access to all residential buildings
- Emergency call boxes in easily accessible locations across campus
- A 24/7 escort system
- Security cameras
- Well-maintained exterior lighting around all campus buildings and additional street and sidewalk lighting
- Low-cut shrubs and hedges
- Support personnel who work with W&J Security Officers to maintain and inspect the safety of all facilities
Campus & Public Safety is committed to open and transparent communication with campus and publishes an Annual Security Report each fall with statistics from the prior three years.