Washington & Jefferson is committed to the safety of our students, faculty, and staff. We have instituted the following procedures and technologies:
- We have 24-hour card access to our residential buildings
- Emergency call boxes across campus
- 24/7 escort system and security cameras
- W&J has installed and maintains exterior lighting around all of its buildings, as well as additional sidewalk and street lighting.
- While maintaining an attractive campus, ground crews keep shrubs and hedges low for safety reasons.
- On any normal workday, there are scores of W&J support personnel whose jobs include providing inspection of the entire campus and its buildings to discover and correct health, safety, and maintenance problems. They work in addition to W&J Security Officers and others who tour campus to report safety-related problems to Facility Services, which responds to correct these problems promptly.
- As part of their duties, residence life staff members continuously report security and maintenance matters. Emergency maintenance services are available 24 hours a day.
- W&J also conducts a monthly Safety Committee Meeting which provides guidance and direction to students, faculty and staff at the College. The Safety Committee identifies hazards and risks, recommends appropriate action to ensure safe conditions, and assists the College in maintaining regulatory compliance.