Thank you for your interest in Washington & Jefferson College. All applications submitted through our online process will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to the number of applications received, we regret that we are unable to respond to status inquiries regarding whether a position has been filled or send position closing notifications to all applicants. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further.
The Associate Vice President for Development will set strategy and provide leadership for major gift officers and corporate and foundation relations gift officer, manage a portfolio of major gift prospects and serve as campaign manager for future campaign initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the Development team in planning and implementing long and short-term strategies to secure gifts from alumni, friends, corporations, and foundations.
- Work with the VP to establish measurable goals to increase fundraising results that are achievable and aspirational
- Maintains a portfolio and solicits major and planned gifts.
- Mentors, trains, supervises and evaluates staff.
- Develops strong, positive relationships with the college community.
- Keeps abreast and implements best practices in the Development profession and evaluates new and emerging giving ideas for potential implementation at Washington and Jefferson.
- Helps to develop and implement policies related to fundraising in collaboration with the VP.
- Serve as campaign manager for future fundraising initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred.
- 12+ years of experience, preferably within development.
- Successful track record in major gifts and development team leadership in senior leadership roles.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
- Successfully complete a driver's license verification on an annual basis.
- Complete the National Safety Council Defensive Driver Training once every three years.
- Ability to relate well to, and understand the needs and interests of the alumni community to strengthen their engagement with the college.
- Consistent track record of designing, implementing and executing on successful development strategies that have resulted in significant increases in engagement and participation.
- Shown success in leading collaborative relationships and utilizing data and technology to build strategic plans and new initiatives.
- Ability to initiate, follow-through, analyze, monitor, and evaluate programming.
- Interest in all aspects of education and a dedication to promoting the college's priorities through developing excellent working relationships with faculty, senior academic leaders, trustees, the alumni association, and other volunteers, and college advancement teams.
- Personal belief in mission, goals and objectives of private higher education.
- Proven problem solving and reasoning skills, analytical skills and oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
This position requires the supervision of gift officers.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Apply for this job at https://www.washjeff.edu/applicantpro/. Please submit a cover letter and resume. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee’s total compensation package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
For more information about Title IX compliance, please visit Title IX at W&J. W&J is committed to assisting all members of the W&J community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report can be found by visiting Health, Safety and Security.