Thank you for your interest in Washington & Jefferson College. All applications submitted through our online process will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to the number of applications received, we regret that we are unable to respond to status inquiries regarding whether a position has been filled or send position closing notifications to all applicants. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further.
Performs a variety of housekeeping and janitorial duties, as well as special function set- ups and moving furniture. This position will be on a temporary basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sweep, mop, vacuum, scrub, and wax floors.
- Machine shampoo carpeting.
- Clean walls, vents, screens, furniture, drinking fountains, light fixtures, window blinds, brass, and other interior fixtures.
- Wash interior and exterior windows and glass doors.
- Clean and empty trash cans.
- Sweep entryways, empty exterior cigarette urns, and empty trashcans immediately outside building entrances.
- Clean restrooms, plunger sinks and toilets, and replenish supplies.
- Organize and supply custodial closets as needed.
- Move, remove, and/or setup furniture, furnishings, supplies, equipment, and any other items, inside specified rooms for special functions as directed.
- Change interior light bulbs that can be reached from the sixth step of a ladder or lower.
- Follow prescribed safety regulations and informs management of potential risks or hazards.
- Complete work requests to notify management of needed repair work.
- Remove snow and ice and apply salt and/or ice melting products to steps and entryways at assigned buildings to a minimum distance of 10' or to the adjacent main walkway that's maintained by the grounds staff.
- Make minor repairs such as, but not limited specifically to, replacing sweeper belts or removing light fixture covers as required.
- Must be willing to learn new procedures and techniques for completing tasks when the college arranges training sessions.
- Must participate with overtime staff coverage, as needed, to address campus needs and will participate on the physical plant weekly "on-call" listing. Refusal to participate will be subject to disciplinary action.
- Additional job related duties as required by the supervisor.
- Assist in loading and unloading trucks during major moves as required.
- Removes snow and ice from College roads, parking lots, sidewalks and steps.
- May perform athletic and event set-ups and break down as required.
- Able to read, write and comprehend at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
- No prior work experience required.
- Ability to follow instructions given either orally or in writing.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work with a diverse group of people.
- Willingness to learn.
- Lift up to 60 pounds.
- Ability to push and pull.
- Walk up to 8 hours per day.
- Climb ladders, scaffolds up to 10' high, and stairs.
- Bend, Stoop, Kneel.
- Able to use basic hand tools.
The position does not require managing other employees.
Apply for this job at https://www.washjeff.edu/applicantpro/ . Please submit a cover letter and resume. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Washington & Jefferson College offers a comprehensive benefit package for benefit eligible employees; including health, vision, and dental coverage, group life insurance, AD&D and LTD coverage, retirement plan, generous leave time, and the tuition benefit programs. These benefits add significantly to the employee’s total compensation package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.
For more information about Title IX compliance, please visit Title IX at W&J. W&J is committed to assisting all members of the W&J community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report can be found by visiting Health, Safety and Security.