Michael S. Leonard, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry
Michael Leonard is a professor in the Department of Chemistry. He teaches introductory, intermediate and advanced organic chemistry. Dr. Leonard has also taught biochemistry and courses for non-science majors, including “Science & Art” and “Molecules That Changed The World.” His JayTerm course, “Easing the transition from Organic Chemistry I to II,” flips the classroom and involves students in interactive problem solving. Dr. Leonard’s research is focused on the preparation of bioactive molecules through novel synthetic methodology. Students conduct research in Dr. Leonard’s laboratory throughout the academic year and have presented their results at regional and national meetings. For more information see Michael Leonard’s wiki page.
- Leonard, Michael S. Organic Chemistry and Solutions Manual for Organic Chemistry, First Edition: 2015. The textbook and solutions manual are available as free PDF downloads from https://gum.co/organicchemistry (simply enter $0 in the price field). Link to entry
- Leonard, Michael S. Introductory Organic Reaction Mechanisms: A color-coded approach to arrow pushing, First Edition; Lulu: 2013. Link to entry
- Leonard, Michael S. Intermediate Organic Chemistry, First Edition; Lulu: 2013. Link to entry
- Leonard, M. S. “Easing the Transition from Organic Chemistry I to II: A January-Term Bridge Course.” J. Chem. Educ. 2020. Link to entry
- Leonard, M. S. “The aporhoeadane alkaloids.” Archive for Organic Chemistry (ARKIVOC), 2013 (i) 1-65. Link to entry
- Piko, B. E.; Keegan, A. L.; Leonard, M. S. “A concise synthesis of the aporhoeadane skeleton.” Tetrahedron Lett. 2011, 52(16), 1981-1982. Link to entry
- Carbaugh, A. D.; Vosburg, W.; Scherer, T. J.; Castillo, C. E.; Christianson, M. A.; Kostarellas, J.; Gosai, S. J.; Leonard, M. S. “A concise synthesis of substituted benzoates.” Archive for Organic Chemistry (ARKIVOC), 2007 (xii) 43-54. Link to entry
- Tomasevich, L. L.; Kennedy, N. M.; Zitelli, S. M.; Hull, R. T., II; Gillen, C. R.; Lam, S. K.; Baker, N. J.; Rohanna, J. C.; Conley, J. M.; Guerra, M. L.; Starr, M. L.; Sever, J. B.; Carroll, P. J.; Leonard, M. S. “Ninhydrin as a building block for yohimbanones, β-carbolines, and oxyprotoberberines.” Tetrahedron Lett. 2007, 48(4), 599-602. Link to entry